‘Murica Onion Soup
2 large yellow onions
2 large white onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can stout beer
1c sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Beef Bone Broth
4# Beef bones
1.5qt Beef stock (see Beef stock recipe)
2 bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- In a large stock pot add beef broth and bones. Bring to a simmer then add bay leaves, garlic and peppercorns. Simmer another 45 minutes.
- While broth is cooking, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and butter.
- When butter is melted add onions and cook until soft and tender. About an hour, onions should be brown and carmelized.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar.
- Deglaze pan with beer. Cook until liquid is reduced by ½.
- When broth is ready, strain and return broth to stockpot. Add onions and simmer another 30-45 minutes until flavor come together.
- To serve, put soup in bowl or cup. Add cheese to top and broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese bubbles.