2.5lb chuck roast, cut into 1 in cubes
1 yellow onion, rough chopped
1/2lb baby belle mushrooms
1 russet potato , cut into 1in cubes
2 carrots, cut into 1in cubes
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4in pieces
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3c canola oil (or other hi smoke point oil)
2/3c red wine
1 tsp Ancho powder
2 tsp dry oregano
½ tsp Allspice
2 tsp Zatar (roasted thyme)
1 qt beef stock
- Heat oil in a medium Stock Pot over medium heat.
- Saute onions until translucent in color, and start to become soft (About 5 min).
- Add Carrots, Celery, and Garlic, cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until they start softening.
- Add Mushrooms and cook down until water is rendered out and all the vegetables start caramelizing.
- Next, add the beef and potatoes, stirring while cooking, making sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Put seasonings in with all the ingredients with about a tablespoon of salt and a 1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper, or to taste.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the red wine and reduce liquid by about half, then add the beef stock (see recipe) or you can use a store bought box low in sodium.
- Cook on a low heat until meat is tender about 2 hours. Potatoes will thicken the soup a bit.
- Reserve for a different night, or enjoy hot for a delicious hearty meal!